Help for Heroes takes the privacy of its beneficiaries and supporters very seriously and adheres to all aspects of the Data Protection Act 1998.
- We never sell, rent, or share your details without your consent
- We only hold your ‘personal’ data when you provide it to us, eg when you make a donation, buy an item from our online shop, register to take part in an event or challenge, etc.
You can visit our website without revealing your identity
The data that we do hold is relative to your relationship with us. It will only include personal information if you have voluntarily provided that to us (for instance, a contact method such as home address, phone number and/or email).
By visiting our website, using our services or participating in our activities, you agree to your personal information being collected and used in the manner set out in this Privacy Notice as updated from time to time.
If you have any requests concerning your personal information or our practices, please contact our Data Protection Officer at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or by writing to: Unit 14 Parkers Close, Downton Business Park, Downton, Wiltshire SP5 3RB.
This Policy explains the privacy and the data protection practices in connection with:
- Help for Heroes group
- What personal information is collected
- How we use your information
- What information we disclose to other parties
- For our beneficiaries, Band of Brothers and Band of Sisters
- How you are in control
- Where we store your data
- Online security
- Links to other websites
- Changes to this Policy
HELP FOR HEROES GROUP
In this policy, the words ‘We’, ‘Us’, ‘Our’ or ‘H4H’ refer to Help for Heroes ‘the charity’, and Help for Heroes ‘Trading’, ‘Trading Company’ or ‘Shop’.
Help for Heroes is a charity registered in England and Wales (1120920) and Scotland (SC044984).
Help for Heroes Trading Limited is a company registered in England and Wales (registered number: 6380957) at Unit 14 Parkers Close, Downton Business Park, Downton, Wiltshire SP5 3RB. It is a wholly owned subsidiary which gifts all of its profits to Help for Heroes.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION IS COLLECTED?
We collect two types of information:
- Personal Information, such as: name, postal address, telephone number, email address, card or bank details, etc. This is taken from the information you voluntarily submit via registration forms, correspondence, phone calls, donations, shopping, Just Giving, Gift Aid declarations, etc.
- Non-personal information, such as: which web pages you visit, IP addresses, social media used, etc. This is captured using Cookies (see below for more information.) Also within this area are any preferences that you may have informed us of, such as how you want to hear from us and which aspects of the charity are of particular interest, etc.
We use ‘cookies’ on our website to help us improve its look and feel. A cookie is a small text file which is placed on your hard drive whenever you visit a website. It collects statistics by tracking your movements and can also be used to identify when you return to a website. Where cookies are used, you will be informed of their presence and function and given the opportunity to disallow the cookie being placed on your hard drive. For more information, please read our Cookies Policy.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We will use your information in a number of ways, ostensibly to:
- help deal with your enquiry, request or application
- process your purchase or a donation
- provide further information about our cause, work, activities or products
- seek your ideas and feedback, via research or surveys
- register and administer your event or challenge participation
- analyse and improve our work and services
- aid fraud prevention
- provide a more personalised service
- provide it to a professional body if required by law or to comply with a legal process
- to register you with our web site and to administer our web site services
- for assessment and analysis (e.g. market, customer and product analysis) to enable us to review, develop and improve the services which we offer and to enable us to provide you and other customers with relevant information through our marketing programme.
- to notify you about changes to our Service
- to make decisions about you using computerised technology, for example automatically selecting products or services which we think will interest you from the information we have.
- to keep you informed of such products and services (including special offers, discounts, offers, competitions which we consider may be of interest to you.
WHAT INFORMATION WE DISCLOSE TO OTHER PARTIES
We never sell, rent or share your details with other charities or companies for marketing purposes.
The only time your information is shared with other organisations is:
- where you have given your permission for us to do so
- with a small number of trusted partners who are employed as our service providers or agents and contractually bound to use your information strictly for the performance of a particular service only (eg those who securely process payments, deliver goods, host the website, etc)
- when we are obliged to do so by law such as sending your information to be checked against the Telephone Preference Service, or if contacted by the authorities with a reasonable request for information.
FOR OUR BENEFICIARIES, BAND OF BROTHERS AND BAND OF SISTERS
We never sell your details to other charities or third parties. None of the information you provide to a Recovery Centre is shared with the Charity or Trading Company. You will only hear from the Charity or the Trading Company if you have separately provided your details to them, by registering for a newsletter or undertaking some form of transaction (such as registering for a fundraising event, buying something from the H4H shop, or making a donation, etc).
We may occasionally need to share your information with our partner charities and organisations in order to deliver the service and support you need. We will NEVER do this unless you have given your explicit consent for us to do so.
HOW YOU ARE IN CONTROL
We will send you information about Help for Heroes according to any preferences you submitted: by phone, post, email or SMS. You can alter your preferences through your existing portal registration account. Alternatively, contact our Supporter Relationships Team by emailing: email@example.com, by calling 01980 840234, Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm.
Please note, if you ask us not to contact you for marketing purposes, we will retain your details on our suppression list to ensure we do not accidentally contact you in the future.
You have the right to see what personal data we hold about you (as defined in the Data Protection Act 1998). To obtain a copy, please write to the Data Protection Officer at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or by writing to: Unit 14 Parkers Close, Downton Business Park, Downton, Wiltshire SP5 3RB.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR DATA
We make every effort to securely store any data. All Help for Heroes data is kept within the EU and our storage of it adheres to the EU Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC.
In the course of our business, we may transfer data to reputable companies outside the European Economic Area. We take steps to ensure that your information will be afforded the same level of protection as that required of us under applicable UK data protection legislation. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology.
No transmission via the internet is wholly secure, so we urge you to safeguard your data by protecting your computer with anti-virus software and ensuring your data is being transmitted securely. Any information you choose to send to us is carried out at your own risk.
We do not retain credit card or banking details on our web servers. Instead, we transfer them to a secure banking database for the purpose of collecting and recording payments. We also encrypt payment pages using SSL (Secure Sockets Layer).
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
Our website may contain information linked to or provided by other companies (such as third party events, etc). They are outside of our control and not covered by this Privacy & Security Policy. Please be aware that, should you access other sites using the links provided, the operators of these sites may have a privacy notice which differs from our own.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
Help for Heroes reserves the right to modify its website and/or this Privacy & Security Policy at any time.
It was last updated August 2016.