Meet Ryan Davies

Meet Ryan Davies

“My accident occurred in 2009 while I was travelling back to Leconsfeild, where I was just about to finish my driver training and go out to 7reg in Germany.

What happened was I was sat at a junction waiting to turn right, that’s all I remember until I woke up on the 27th December in the Heath hospital Cardiff, initially I woke up the evening of the 23rd December. As my dad and his partner walked in the ward I was sat up in the chair. As they took they’re seat I kicked my dads chair, stood up as my dad grabbed me to stop me from going anywhere. I gave him a cwtch (hug) and grabbed my step mum to cwtch (hug) her as well.

As I was hugging my parents the Neurological surgeon walked past and took a double look because 1400 that afternoon I was still in my coma.

The day I woke up in Cardiff I thought it was a bad dream and I was going to wake in my bed for Christmas the next day. But I didn’t, I soon realised after I couldn’t speak couldn’t walk and couldn’t move my right hand -  all my right side was dead. Everyday I was picking little words up, so I said to my dad one-day “walk”, so he helped me walk to toilet even though I still had my catheter in. So that was it I was determined to walk by myself, but the first time I tried I fell straight on my face and that was when my father was told I wouldn’t be able to walk again.

Ryan 1

Every day my parents would come in and help me walk but when they weren’t home I would try on my own until I mastered to walk by myself again.

So I went to Headley Court and as I was settling in I saw some of the others patients which were amputees and I would think I shouldn’t be there.

So while I was at Headley Court I was being helped back in to work, one day my OC came in and said that I was getting transferred to the Pioneers. That was it, I concentrated getting back to my full fitness, well to what I could.

So came the month where I would leave Headley court and return back to Leconsfeild, where I believed that I was going to the Pioneers. So after my month work trial I went in to see my CO he said I was getting Medically Discharged. I dropped from being stood to attention to my knees and I sobbed. That was my life ever since a young boy, I wanted to follow in my dad and uncle’s steps by joining Her Majesty Armed Forces.

So I went back to Headley Court where I could do the transition of going back into civilian life. But this time I went back and a patient bullied me as, to him, I didn’t deserve to be there. One day he said: “You shouldn’t be here, you don’t deserve it”, so I replied: “yes I do, I signed the dotted line same as you. So please leave me alone”. But that was wrong because what happened next was terrifying for me, he chased me to my room and strangled me. Lucky enough I managed to press the help button before it went too far.

From that day I would have nightmares of seeing his face while he was strangling me. That would bring on my PTSD, the next review with my consultant I would ask if I could have some anti-depressants. That was the time then I left and went home, while I was Headley Court my dad was looking for my own place to live.

So I got discharged from Headley Court and started live on my own, which was great for me. I did what I wanted when I wanted, so I got back into the gym. I would go every day to the gym to help me keep fit but also keep me busy. That year I also started seeing someone which was amazing; by Christmas we were basically living together.  There has been difficult times for us but it has made us grow stronger and to this very day she’s still my rock.

In 2013 I found out from a family friend about Tedworth House and Help for Heroes.  In October 2013 I went to Tedworth House with my partner. At that time I couldn’t go anywhere without her, especially on public transport and somewhere new. We were there a couple of days and Shannon, my partner, could see a change in me. That week I would meet my best friend (Lee James). You would swear we have known each other from when we were kids.

That year I would join the Help for Heroes cricket team, knowing that Lee had joined as well made me happy. That year I came so far in my recovery thanks to the cricket team, it was like a family - being with back with the boys. I would like to thank Alan McClelland, Amy Stringer, Lisa Lang, Amy Waddington, Lisa Hudson and Paul Whyton for all believing in me to give me the chance to take me out to Barbados. We had an eye opening tour - I say eye opening because in Barbados they are a very cricket oriented country. It was a tour, but to me it felt like I had gone a tour with my family.

Ryan 2

I would like to thank JP for giving me a chance at the Invictus Games 2014 in London. I have always been interested in powerlifting but didn’t think I was good enough until he said I was in the team to represent Great Britain at London.

From there I progressed with it and took it on myself to join Great BritainPowerlifting Federation and compete in able-body powerlifting, which I did on the 11th June 2015 and for my first competition I didn’t do too badly as I was only 13kg off being picked to represent the GB team.

So to some up , in my mind with Help for Heroes  there is only one word and that’s family, because to me it’s family. You meet people once and you have a friend for life.H4H have helped prove what I’m about and who Ryan Davies is.

So I would like to conclude this by say a personal and massive thank you to not just the few I’ve mentioned but everyone at the charity.


Categories :