Savour the Flavour Flan
Recipe provided by Lisa Faulkner for Eggs for Soldiers
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
225g plain flour
¼ tsp salt
50g butter, cut into pieces
50g white vegetable fat, cut into pieces
6 spring onions, finely chopped
10–12 cherry tomatoes, halved
200g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
3 Eggs for Soldiers eggs
200ml half fat crème fraiche
1 tsp dried oregano
Fresh herbs or salad leaves, to garnish
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and white vegetable fat, rubbing it in with your fingertips until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in just enough chilled water to make soft (not sticky) dough. Knead for a few moments until smooth, then wrap and chill for 10–20 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C / fan oven 180°C / Gas Mark 6.
3. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use it to line a 20cm flan ring or flan dish. Line with a piece of crumpled foil or greaseproof paper and baking beans and bake ‘blind’ (without a filling) for 10 minutes. Take the flan from the oven and remove the foil or paper and baking beans. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C / fan oven 160°C / Gas Mark 4.
4. To make the filling, heat the butter in a frying pan and fry the spring onions for 3-4 minutes. Cool for a few minutes. Scatter over the base of the flan and sprinkle the cherry tomatoes and cheese on top.
5. Beat the eggs, crème fraiche and oregano together. Season with a little salt and pepper. Pour into the flan case then bake for 30–35 minutes, until set. Serve warm or cold, garnished with fresh herbs or salad leaves.
Cook’s tip: Metal flan tins are best as they conduct heat efficiently, cooking the pastry to give a crisp base.