Egg, Avocado, and Crispy Bacon Salad
Recipe provided by Lisa Faulkner for Eggs for Soldiers
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
4 Eggs for Soldiers eggs
8 rashers streaky bacon
1 bag mixed salad leaves
1 Romaine lettuce, shredded
2 ripe avocados
4 large tomatoes, sliced
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp wholegrain mustard
4 tbsp croutons
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Basil leaves, to garnish
1. Hard-boil the eggs for 8–10 minutes then plunge into cold water to cool them.
2. While the eggs are cooking, grill the bacon rashers until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
3. Mix together the salad leaves and Romaine lettuce and arrange on 4 large serving plates with the tomatoes. Peel, stone and slice the avocados and arrange on the salads. Shell the eggs and quarter them, then share between the plates.
4. Make the dressing by mixing together the olive oil, lemon juice and wholegrain mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Sprinkle the dressing over the salads then snip the bacon rashers over the top. Add the croutons, then serve, garnished with basil leaves.
Cook’s tip: Why not hard-boil extra eggs at the same time then they’re ready for a favourite egg and cress sandwich? Just keep them refrigerated for up to 3 days.