HOT CHILLI POPPERS
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 – 50 minutes (depending on heat source and equipment)
Makes 12 Hot Poppers
12 large jalapeno peppers
1 pound thick-sliced streaky bacon
2 favourite sausages
8 oz cream cheese, room temp
Paprika or favourite BBQ rub
BBQ Type: Closed Grill
Lid Required: Yes
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Prepare the jalapenos by cutting off the end and then remove the core and seeds inside (wear gloves if you have them to avoid contact with the oils from the membrane and seeds).
3. Peel the skins from the sausage meat and mix in a bowl with your favourite BBQ rub/seasoning.
4. Take the cored jalapenos and stuff them with this sausage filling to about half way.
5. Fill the rest of the chilli with the cream cheese, and then wrap in bacon and secure with toothpicks.
6. If you have a smoker, you can cook them in the smoker at 225 – 250°F for about 40-50 minutes. Otherwise, cook your hot poppers on the indirect grill (450°F) for 20 – 30 minutes.
These sausage-cream-cheese-stuffed bacon-wrapped jalapenos are the perfect treat. If you want to up the heat, just keep more of the seeds intact (or add cayenne to the filling).