Sticky Toffee Pudding
Recipe provided by Bake for Heroes Ambassador James Tanner
160g dried dates stones removed
½ pint water
2 tsp bicarbonate soda
160g soft butter
200g dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
200g self-raising flour
120g brown sugar
140ml double cream
1. Pre heat oven to 180°c/gas mark 4 and line an 8 inch square cake tin.
2. Put the dates in a bowl and cover with boiling water, stir in the bicarbonate soda and leave to soak for around 10 minutes.
3. Next cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy then gradually beat the eggs into the mixture.
4. Next mix in the flour and baking powder.
5. Blitz the dates ingredients in a blender to a puree then mix with the pudding batter.
6. Pour into a greased, lined baking tin and cook for 35 minutes or until the cake is risen; you can check it is cooked through by inserting a skewer and if it comes out clean when removed the cake is cooked! Leave to cool slightly.
7. To make toffee sauce - Melt the butter in a saucepan then add the sugar and cream. Simmer until the sugar dissolves and cook for around 5 minutes until a brown toffee sauce is achieved.
8. To serve, slice the pudding into wedges and pour over the hot toffee sauce. Serve with vanilla ice cream.