RASPBERRY QUEEN OF PUDDINGS
Recipe provided by
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
2 tsp butter
75g fresh white breadcrumbs
1 tsp vanilla extract
40g caster sugar
3 eggs, separated
3 tbsp raspberry jam
200g frozen raspberries
1. Grease an 850ml baking dish with 1 tsp of butter. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs into the baking dish. Warm the milk with the remaining butter and vanilla extract until lukewarm. Take care that the mixture doesn’t get too hot.
2. Remove from the heat and add half the sugar, stirring to dissolve it. Beat in the egg yolks.
3. Pour into the baking dish and stir into the breadcrumbs, then leave to soak for 15 minutes
4. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/fan oven 160°C
5. Bake the pudding for 20-25 minutes, until set. Remove the baking dish from the oven and cool for 5 minutes, then carefully spread the raspberry jam over the surface. Sprinkle the frozen raspberries on top.
6. Whisk the egg whites in a large grease-free bowl until they hold their shape, then add the remaining sugar, whisking again until stiff and glossy. Pile the meringue on top of the pudding, then return it to the oven to bake for a further 5-8 minutes, until golden brown. Serve at once.
Cook’s tip: Egg whites won’t whip if there is the slightest trace of grease in the bowl or on the beaters – and that includes egg yolk too, so take care when separating the eggs.