Recipe provided by Mug Cakes – 40 speedy cakes to make in a microwave, by Mima Sinclair. Published by Kyle Books.
Photography by Tara Fisher.
Set up the deckchair, break out the cocktail umbrellas and enjoy!
1/2 tablespoon desiccated coconut
1 medium egg, yolk and white
50g fresh pineapple, finely chopped, plus a slice for garnish
2 tablespoons soft butter
1 tablespoon white rum
3 tablespoons caster sugar
2 tablespoons coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 tablespoon self-raising flour
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons double cream
1/2 tablespoon icing sugar
1 tablespoon rum
1 small pineapple slice and 1 leaf
1 glaceÅL cherry
½ tablespoon coconut flakes
1 cocktail umbrella
1. Tip the desiccated coconut onto a small plate and spread out to cover.
2. Take a 350ml mug and dip the rim fist into the egg white and then into the coconut. Try and stick as much coconut as you can to the edge of the mug.
3. Add the pineapple, butter, rum and caster sugar to the mug and microwave for 1 minute until hot and bubbling. Leave to cool slightly.
4. Add the remaining egg white, egg yolk, coconut milk and vanilla to the mug and beat with a fork until thoroughly combined.
5. Add the flour and salt and beat again until smooth.
6. Cook in the microwave for 5 minutes 30 seconds @ 600W, 4 minutes 30 seconds @ 800W or 3 minutes 30 seconds @ 1000W. Leave to cool.
7. Meanwhile, make the icing. Beat together the cream, icing Sugar and rum until light and fluffy, then spread over the sponge, swirling with the back of a spoon.
8. Garnish with the pineapple slice, pineapple leaf, cherry and coconut, then add a big cocktail umbrella
TIP: Make this non-alcoholic using pineapple juice in place of rum.