Pear Sponge with Crushed Pear and Maple Syrup
Recipe provided by Bake for Heroes Ambassador James Tanner
150g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
150g plain flour
Pinch of baking powder
6 Pears peeled and chopped (keep one diced Pear separate)
1 x tbsp. maple syrup
1. Pre heat oven to 220 °C / 425° F / Gas mark 7.
2. Place butter and sugar in a bowl/food processor and cream together.
3. Whisk the eggs together and slowly incorporate into the butter and sugar.
4. Sieve the flour and baking powder into the above mix and combine.
5. Place the five diced pears into a non stick baking tray spoon over the sponge mix, then transfer to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and springy to the touch.
6. Place the remaining pear into a saucepan and add the water, bring to the boil, and then simmer for 2-3 minutes.
7. Remove from the heat and crush with a fork, add the maple syrup and mix together. Spoon over the top of the cooked sponge and serve with custard.