Fatless Sponge with Raspberries and Cream
Recipe provided by Bake for Heroes Ambassador James Tanner
Oil for greasing
4 large free-range eggs, separated
175g caster sugar, plus extra for dredging
150g self-raising flour, sifted
Pinch of crushed sea salt
150ml whipping cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/gas mark 4. Grease and line two 20cm sponge tins with baking parchment.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until pale and creamy.In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Whisk the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
3. Fold in the flour in small batches using a large metal spoon. Repeat until all the flour is combined. Fold in the salt.
4. Divide the mixture between the two lined tins and bake for 20 minutes until well risen and golden. Remove from the oven; turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
5. For the filling, pass 75g of the raspberries through a fine sieve to make a puree. Set aside.
6. Whip the cream to soft peaks and spread over one of the cooled sponges.
7. Spoon the remaining raspberries over the cream and drizzle over the raspberry purée.
8. Top with the remaining cooled sponge and dredge with caster sugar. Serve with a cup of tea!