CHOCOLATE AND HAZELNUT CAKE
Recipe supplied by Bill Granger from ITV's Lorraine Show
185g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids), coarsely chopped
5 eggs, separated
220g caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
300g toasted hazelnuts, very finely ground
For the topping:
180g Nutella chocolate spread
150g toasted hazelnuts
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Lightly grease and line a 25cm springform tin with baking paper.
3. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, set aside to cool.
4. Beat the egg yolks and half of the sugar until pale and frothy.
5. Fold in the melted chocolate and ground hazelnuts.
6. In a clean metal bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff and gradually add the remaining sugar until very firm and glossy.
7. Stir 1/4 of the whisked egg white into the chocolate mixture to loosen it then gently fold in the remained.
8. Tip into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour, covering loosely with foil if the top starts to get too much colour.
9. Cool on a cake rack before turning out onto a plate.
10. For the topping, whisk the Nutella and mascarpone together until well combined. Spread over the cake, scatter with the hazelnuts and serve.