BEAUTIFUL BERRY SPONGE CAKE WITH VANILLA CHEESEBASE FILLING
Recipe provided by
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Vegetable oil, for greasing
100g caster sugar
100g plain flour
200g medium fat soft cheese
2 tbsp Greek yogurt
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract1 tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
200g strawberries, sliced
Mint leaves, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7/220°C/ fan oven 200°C. Grease two 18 sandwich tins with a little vegetable oil and line the bases with circles of baking paper.
2. Using a hand-held electric mixer, whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until very pale and light in texture–this will take about 5 minutes on full power. To check that the mixture is thick enough, lift up the beaters (switched off!) they should leave a trail for a few seconds.
3. Sift the flour into the mixture and fold it through lightly but thoroughly, using a large metal spoon. Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and level the tops.
4. Bake the cakes for 8-9 minutes until golden brown and springy to the touch. Remove from the oven and turn them out onto a cooling rack. Cover with a clean damp tea towel and leave until completely cold. Remove the lining paper.
5. Mix together soft cheese, Greek yogurt, lemon zest, vanilla extract and icing sugar. Spread half the mixture over the surface of one sponge. Top with half the strawberries and blueberries. Sandwich the two cakes together and decorate the top with the rest of the soft cheese mixture, the remaining berries and mint leaves. Serve, sprinkled with a little icing sugar.
Cook’s tip: The secret of success is to whisk the eggs and sugar together until they reach a high volume, then carefully fold through the flour so that you don’t lose the air you’ve just whisked in.